The Wild West of Talvania

Bear still watches the two animals eat while watching Yamashiro napping right next to Fenni. “I don't doubt that comrad Victor I saw what one of those could do to someone if they need to be glad you have a good friend there.” The bigger and older man went back to eating his stew which must have been better than the time he was out on the field. The bigger man can tell this younger guy is going through a tough life and just wants to help where he can. In his gut this is a good guy and he will help him and no one or thing will stop him unless it is boobs.

• Like 1

• Community Administrator

“I’m very glad. I’ve raised him since he was a puppy. I’m glad to have such a loyal companion.” Victor said, leaning forwards a little as Fenni looked up after swallowing the last of the meat. The wolfdog wagged his tail once, silently, as he watched his master for a few moments. He then turned and stared at Yamashiro, leaning forwards a little to sniff at her before he lost interest and turned back to watching the two humans. Victor smiled a little before he then said, “I might not stay up for long. I want to head out at dawn, so I’ll need to get some sleep soon.”

Bear just sat straight up to stretch his muscles “I wish i could say the same comrad. I am up for a bit working on guns and greasing up all the parts. Running a gunshop is hard work now and knowing Yamashiro she would get too lonely if I go to sleep, if I don’t work more around the shop. I was a bit lazy today; I don’t get many guests.” he laughed at the joy of having people around again. He ended up getting up and placing what was left in his bowl and letting either Yamashiro or Fenni have rest in his bowl. As he went to grab a metal crate by the right side of the room he can clearly see the words ‘army’ on it. “You know what's a good thing running a gun shop and being a vet in a war dose for you.” The bigger man chuckled knowing what's in the back on his metal  gun case and took out a gatling gun and placed it on a towel to have it cleaned up “Hey old friend owed me back in the war and he got me this.” He had a belly laugh from that part 

• Like 1

“That’s fair enough. It’s work that needs to be done.” Victor replied when Bear said that he had work that he needed to do, and that he had been lazy since he had never had many guests. With the town being so remote, it wasn’t really a surprise to Victor that guests were few and far between. He had no doubt that his arrival was likely to be the talk of the town for a few days. While he disliked having the eye of attention on him like that, there was one benefit. Once he had settled down and people no longer paid attention to him, at least the chatter would provide an early warning system for anyone else that rolled into town, looking for him. 

He watched as the large man got up and offered the last of his food to the two animals. Fenni, not one to pass up a free meal, was quick to eat it, licking the bowl clean when he had done. His eyes then moved back to Bear as he got a metal crate before pulling out what appeared to be a gatling gun. Victor had seen that weapon before. He had been on the receiving end of it during the attempted invasion of their shores. It was a powerful gun that did a very good job although it wasn’t often that he got to see Maskurg weapons up close, “That’s a valuable gun. You’re not going to find something like that often in Talvania. That’s sure to get you a pretty dollar.” Victor commented.

• 2 months later...

Bear gave a hearty chuckle, “Comrad Vickter... If I sell it or use it down the road, it's a good thing I have buddies that owe me that still serve.” He was greasing the gun and the barrels. He was lifting the gun with one hand cleaning it and spinning it here and there to make sure it was in working order. Bear let out a sigh “If only we had one of these at our post. Things would have been easier. I swear the youngbloods get the fun toys.” he chuckled.

• Love 1

“As is the usual case, I imagine. But then they’re the ones around when new things like that are invented.” Victor replied, making the statement as vague as possible. He leaned forwards as Fenni stood up and walked over to him, his tail wagging. He stroked along the wolf dogs back, petting him lightly on the back as he watched the huge man cleaning out the gun for several long moments. Finally, he stood up, causing Fenni to look more alert and looking up at him expectantly, “I think I’m going to turn in for the night, and get some rest so that I can start out early tomorrow morning to track the cougars.” He said.

• 3 weeks later...

Bear just chuckled “Rest well comrade Victor, I’ll be cleaning this big thing for a few hours before I close up for the night.” The big man said as he was still making sure all of the barrels of the heavy gun on his counter would be clean and ready if things get hairy. This big thing was not on sale for when he needed it. Yamashiro just watched with the corner of her eyes, too lazy to get up to care but gave a little wave with one of her paws saying good night in her own way. 

• Like 1

“Thank you.” Victor said, nodding his head slightly before he smiled at Yamashiro before he left the room with Fenni at his heel. Quietly, the two ascended the stairs and went into their room. Once there, Victor closed the door and stripped down before climbing into the bed. The moment he was settled, Fenni jumped up onto the bed and snuggled up against him. Victor began to stroke the hounds soft fur, enjoying the companionship of the steadfastly loyal animal. His presence was helping him get through the difficult time without his beloved wife. Fenni helped stabilise him, keeping him sane. His wife’s death had almost broken him, and he knew that it was going to be a long time before he could get over it. He closed his eyes and tried to clear his mind, hoping that for once, his sleep was untroubled by nightmares.

• 2 months later...

The big man was placing the now clean machine gun back in its metal crate and putting it on the ground, and Yamyashiro was just sleeping in front of the counter, too lazy to move at the moment. Bear blew out the lantern and the fire for the place turning out the lights and leaned down and patted the larger animal on the head “Sleep well, old girl”. He then went to his room and left the door open for when or if Yamashiro wanted in there as well.

• Love 1

It seems Victor’s hopes for a quiet night were in vain, as he jerked awake to the sensation of Fenni licking his face, something he commonly did when Victor was having a nightmare. He reassured Fenni by petting the animal on the head. It took him a few moments to get his bearings, as he gazed out through the gap in the shutters and saw that it was pre-dawn. A good time to wake up. He quietly climbed out of the bed, dressing himself before he checked his bag to ensure that he had everything. He glanced at Fenni, causing the animal to quietly jump down from the bed and followed Victor as he opened up the bedroom door, trying to make as little sound as possible, before slipping out and heading down the stairs in the darkness, using his memory to guide him out of the back door. In the pre-dawn darkness, he moved around the shop to where Cherry was waiting for him. He saddled her before untying her from the railing and climbing into the saddle. He then gently turned her and began to walk her out of the town with Fenni trotting happily beside the two of them. He just hoped that his exit had not disturbed his hosts.

• Woohoo 1

• Neptune changed the title to The Wild West of Talvania
  • 1 year later...

Yamashiro was fast asleep as Victor and Fenni were leaving through the back door. The big old bear was tired from the night before. Bear was waking up as they did and once again he hit his head on the ceiling of his room again “Why don't fix that in my own house?” he said with a sigh with a mark on his big head. He got out a random rifle and started cleaning the sun setting just right in his front windows to be clear the day starts .

• Love 1

Victor was relieved that he seemed to have left the house without disturbing either of his hosts. The town seemed almost quiet in the first morning rays, but he could see figures moving about to begin their day's work but it seemed like many of the inner town residents were still asleep. So he made sure to walk Cherry out of town, despite her eagerness to get going. Fenni quietly moved around him, moving ahead of them for a bit before stopping and returning to him just as he had trained the wolfdog to do. Once they were on the outskirts of Kvor, Victor picked up their pace and nudged Cherry into a light run as he headed in the direction that Bear had pointed him to. Both Cherry and Fenni were happy at the faster pace and easily kept pace with one another. 

Once they were in the more rocky areas, Victor slowed down and settled Cherry into a walk as he kept his sharp eyes on the ground for any signs of the cougars that he was hunting. That had been one advantage to his capability of noticing everything around him; it was very easy for him to learn how to track from even a speeding horse. Fennin ranged ahead, his head to the ground in the manner of a hunting wolf. Every now and again, he would return to check up on the two of them before heading off again.

It wasn’t until it was closer to midday that he found any clue. He spotted a smudge of a track in the sand. He pulled Cherry to a stop and dismounted before he squatted next to the print and examined it. It was relatively fresh, perhaps no more than a few hours old. He looked up and let out a whistle, and within a moment Fenni was speeding towards him. The wolfdog came to a stop, tilting his head as he let out an excited whine that almost sounded like small chirps. 

“Track.” Victor ordered, pointing at the paw print. Fenni immediately lowered his head and sniffed around the paw print. He then moved off slightly, his nose to the ground. It took him a moment to get the trail and he began moving off. Victor immediately jumped back into the saddle and followed behind Fenni, all the while keeping an eye on the ground and watching for more paw prints that were occasionally pressed into the sand.

• Woohoo 1

Bear was going on like he normally does inside of his little shop. In the background you can hear snores sound from the back from Yamashiro. It was so loud that some of the passers-by could hear the bear from outside. The Big man had a big cup of coffee on his desk he fixed for himself earlier .

• Like 1

Victor followed behind Fenni on Cherry, occasionally glancing at the ground to ensure that they still followed the tracks that had been left by the cougars. Fenni seemed to range ahead, disappearing for moments before becoming visible once again. Victor wasn’t concerned whenever Fenni disappeared from his view. He knew the wolfdog could look after himself and would never run away from him. 

Towards evening as the sun began to dip down towards the horizon, Fenni came to a stop, his body tense and alert. Victor pulled Cherry to a stop and dismounted. He gently patted her on her shoulder before pulling his rifle from his saddle as he moved as silently as he could to join Fenni. He crouched down, “Where are they, Fenni?” He asked in a quiet voice.

Fenni let out a soft whine, looking out through a scraggly busy. Victor followed the pointed nose and he could see the cougar in question, lounging in the sun. Nearby was a smaller one, clearly a cub that was getting close to adulthood. The smaller one was sprawled out and chewing on the remains of some animal.

Victor lined up the shot on the mother as Fenni tensed beside him. He took a deep breath, aiming towards the cougar's head. Fenni began to crawl stealthily towards the two targets. Once he was closer to the cub, Victor pulled the trigger and fired at the mother, striking her through the eye. The bang of the rifle reverberated around them causing the cub to begin to flee however Fenni sprung into action and pounced on the cub. The two animals snarled and scrapped with each other but it was hopeless for the cub as Fenni clamped his jaws on the cougars throat and tearing it out, causing the animal to become limp.

Victor stood up and moved closer, “Good boy, Fenni.” He said, causing Fenni to look at him and his tail to wag slightly. He slung the rifle over his shoulder before he picked up the mother and slung it over his shoulder. He returned to Cherry, throwing the dead animal over the saddle before he returned for the cub. Once they were secure, he looked up at the disappearing sun and decided to set up camp for the night as it was dangerous to head back in low light.

• Woohoo 1

Bear was talking to a customer who stopped by to get the rifle checked up after it had been jamming lately. He was taking the rifle apart to see what the problem was. He was making sure he didn’t break anything on it. Yamashiro was still fast asleep in the back, the snoring slightly muffled but still clearly audible. He didn't see anything wrong with the barrel but he had a feeling it must have been some kind of part that might have broken in the gun. It did look to be quite old and well used. “I say come back by tomorrow. I’ll have it done by then. It would be best to go stay at the bar until I can fix it.”

As the owner of the rifle left, Bear started to take the gun apart to see what was going on with it but he also was cleaning the parts he took apart till he was able to find the broken part. “It's like he has been firing in mud. Proklyatiye. “ He found the firing pin and could see that it was in two pieces and so he took out a box of firing pins and found the right one for that rifle. When he did he then started to place the gun back together making it look better then it was brought into his shop. Once he was he took out a bottle from under his gun case and poured himself a drank for the night knowing it be one of many drinks

• Love 1

Victor found himself a nice spot that was up against a cliff edge that would protect him from the stiff breeze and it was tall enough that other predators wouldn’t jump down on top of his head. He let out a soft whistle, telling Fenni to remain in the area. He then dismounted from Cherry, and began to unload by taking off the cougar bodies before removing the saddle and most of the bridle but kept the part wrapped around the bottom of Cherry’s face. He then tied the rope to a piece of log to get her to remain where she was. He then fed and watered her.

Once she was settled, he went about making the camp. He gathered sticks and made a small area for his campfire before rolling out his bedroll for the night. He then sat himself down on his bedroll, with Fenni settling himself next to him. He then cooked himself a simple stew before he fed himself and Fenni for the night. Once he was full, he remained awake for a while, staring into the fore that bathed him in its warmth.

He figured that he could stay in Kvor for a few weeks before moving on. He needed money, and if they had other things they needed hunting then it might be a good source. He also might be able to help the local ranchers move their cattle. Fenni, being a well trained wolfdog, would absolutely be helpful in this regard. Bear was also part of the reason he decided he wanted to linger. It had been a long time since he had even had a friend. He was a good man, Victor could certainly see that, if a little blunt. But Victor did appreciate those qualities. He felt it would genuinely sadden him when he was forced to move on, but Victor couldn’t risk lingering for far too long. He glanced up at the stars before he removed his boots and wriggled himself underneath his bedroll covers. He felt Fenni settle against him before he relaxed himself into sleep, knowing that Fenni was looking out for him.

• Love 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Read our Privacy Policy for more information.

Please Sign In or Sign Up