• Senior Staff
14 minutes ago, Angela Daring said:

Well, that works, too, then.  I didn't want to have Keiko work in a brothel if she would be the only one there (no PC workers or customers) but having at least one other PC there makes me feel a bit more confident, and it'll be easier for Sophia to join a brothel later on if there's one established by then.  Keiko's too submissive to start her own brothel, though.  But I guess I could include Angela in this and have her run the joint. In that case, I should have Angela join the town first.  She can decide to start her own business, look around town, see that there are no brothels despite prostitution being legal and fill a need.

Keep in mind, the brothel doesn't necessarily have to be started by your characters. You can just have an NPC recruit characters who, say, are desperate for money and are especially attractive. Likewise, you can also say there are other NPC prostitutes already working for the brothel.

I've already written in Sophia's biography that she has turned down many offers to join various prostituion services. And I think if Sophia joins a brothel, it would be due to pressure from a more dominant man in a period where she's desperate for money. 

Edited by Aurafox1
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Eh... I kind of like my idea, though,  I mean, I guess I could use Terashi instead of Angela, but none of my characters are well and truly the dominant kind except for Chaos, and he has a very, very foul mouth.  Besides, Keiko wouldn't risk coming near someone like that, much less work for him.  And yeah, I'll figure something out for the extra info, but I'm going to roleplay my first character deciding to run a brothel, buying the place, and fixing it up before posting it there.  In fact, I'm probably going to start with them when they first move to Blackberry Falls.

And if nothing else, there's nothing that says that there wouldn't be competition in the brothel department by the time Sophia goes for it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Same here!  I think I will make the brothel owner a male.  A female owner would probably just have guys asking her if she was one of the working girls. xD

Actually, scratch that.  I'm better at writing females than I am at writing males, so I'm gonna go with my original plan.

Edited by Angela Daring

Okay, I've got some information set down for Angela (I went for female owner in the end), but I don't really have a bio for her yet.  Angela is a fairly new character for me as far as all of her variants go, though.  As far as her bio goes, I know she was born in another country and moved to Blackberry falls to get away from her parents, and that she has a Master's degree (for which she would have gone to college) but that's about all the info my brain's putting out on her right now.  I kind of feel like trash compared to the amount of info Neptune has on some of his characters, but I hope what I've got for now is okay.  But yeah, not sure what to put down as her home nation, whether I should make up one or use something from RL.

Edited by Angela Daring

• Community Administrator

It's alright, although I do feel that the Personality, Traits and abilities is a bit lacking. For example; how does her personality come out and manifest itself? Since there's aspects of all those personality traits that she may or may not display. 

Let's take Extroverted for example. Some of the associated behaviours can be any of these; 

• Feeling confident in social situations
  • Being friendly and chatty (This interacts very nicely with her other personality traits)
  • Being motivational
  • Being adventurous (Which is another whole kettle of fish on its own)
  • Being easily bored
  • Thinking while speaking AKA working things out verbally
  • Impulsiveness (Again, another kettle of fish on its own, and actually a bit of a personality flaw. This might actually be a good flaw to have, since due to her other personality traits she might impulsively help her friends or even strangers without even thinking twice about it. The kind that usually puts in a few coins to the homeless man sitting against the wall.)
  • Stepping outside of their comfort zone
  • Craving attention
  • Cheerfulness and high-spiritedness

I think you get the point. She might display some of these behaviours, but not others. Like she might not be craving attention in a negative fashion. Basically, I would like to see a more detailed personality. I've got these awesome little books that help me with shit like this for both positive and negative personality traits so I can help you out with this. In fact, in her weaknesses you've stated that she's reckless and doesn't respond well to threats. Again these can be tied into her personality since recklessness is a personality trait... one which would tie in beautifully with someone that is adventurous... although you could add in her weaknesses that her kind and caring nature can be easily used against her as in people can take advantage of that and use it against her.

You say that one of her hobbies is self defense... could this be tied into her skills in anyway? For example, how competent is she with guns? Knives? Other weapons? Or even her fists? Because if she's skilled in any of these, it would count towards her strengths because she might be able to defend herself against some low-life scum. You could do a little bit of splitting down this Masters Degree... for example she would have the skill to set up a business and to keep it financially stable. She would be well versed in the selling and splitting up of company shares, of hiring staff that work for her, of creating a work space that is pleasant and relaxing for others to work in. 

• Love 1

Thanks for the input, @Neptune!  I added some of the things you suggested.  I feel like I may have gone a bit overboard on the strengths, though impulsive is a big flaw.  Any other advice you could give me would be appreciated.  I'd be happy to take constructive criticism.  I'll try to get a bio together tomorrow.

I think you added some of the personality things into her strengths. Although personality traits can, and will, give various weaknesses. Like being adventurous. That is a personality trait and thus belongs with the general overview of her personality. In the strengths, it would mean that she has confidence, isn't afraid to go into new situations and can adapt quickly to new situations. But on the flipside, it also adds the weaknesses of her being reckless which increase the risk of things in injury. 

Alright, I moved cheerful and adventurous to general qualities, and removed friendly and chatty since that's basically what it means to be an extrovert. Hopefully, things are a bit more balanced.  Sorry about the trouble.  I'm good at making detailed posts, but I tend to have trouble with detailed profiles.

Edited by Angela Daring

I can understand, it took me a while to figure out how I can do detailed profiles. I actually have a bit of a method for it by now lol like with the personality I lay out all of the traits;

• Extroverted
  • Kind
  • Caring 
  • Very adventurous
  • Cheerful and high-spirited.

I would then actually change the order so that I put similar traits next to one another. So for Angela, I would do it like thus;

• Very Adventurous
  • Extroverted
  • Cheerful and high-spirited
  • Kind
  • Caring

Then I would sit down and work out how these personality traits manifest themselves with the character. Because Adventurous has been highlighted as a strong trait I would sit and decide on the strong aspects I would have although for some, I can leave out because they're covered by other personality aspects and thus can cover it there. I shall pick;

• Participates in extreme sports (Also allows me to insert a new hobby or few)
  • Takes risks for fun
  • Trying new foods
  • Enjoys the rush of adrenaline
  • Enjoys meeting new people

These all fall under the personality trait of adventurous meaning that they all tie into it. With what I've picked out, I then write how how this personality trait is displayed. I'll give you an example of how I do it;

<NAME> is very adventurous, and it makes up the strongest part of her personality. She loves to participate in extreme sports, and will often go out of her way to try new sports, such as bungee jumping or skydiving. If it's a thrill ride, she will try it. She also takes risks for fun, which could result in her being injured or even arrested. For example she might decide to go trekking across the desert with only a single bottle of water and a small amount of food supplies to get her through. She might also visit abandoned places, risking not only injury from dilapidated buildings but also being arrested for trespassing on private property. She loves trying new foods, and will go out of her way to visit foreign restaurants in her hometown. She will also eat the local food whenever she goes on holiday, prefering to go for things she's never had before as opposed to sticking with what she's comfortable with. <NAME> enjoys the rush of adrenaline, and will find ways to get her fix. She loves to watch horror movies, and play horror games that will get her heart pumping. She also always loves to go to theme parks and will ride the biggest and scariest roller coasters that they have. Like with her love of going to new places, <NAME> also enjoys meeting new people, and making potential friends...

See how I was able to take a single personality trait and stretch it out into something more detailed yet still holding all the important information? I've also used the very last behaviour as a means to go onto the next personality trait on the list; Extroverted. I hope that is somewhat helpful to you.

Well, while she is adventurous, she's smart enough to not go too crazy.  Extreme sports would probably not be something she'd be too interested in.  Like, I want her to be extroverted because it's easier to interact with people that way, but I don't want her to become a thrillseeker. She can be adventurous and still keep a level head because of the career she chose for herself.

What I gave you what a potential example. Quite obviously, you're more familiar with the character than I am. But I was teaching you the steps I take when writing about the personality of my character so that if you wanted to, you could take the technique and apply it yourself in your own way.

Fair enough.  To be honest, I should have put more thought into this character before writing up a profile for her.  I just got excited about the idea of her moving to this town and coming to the idea of opening a brothel, so I just brought something up quickly in my head.  That's kind of why I tend to avoid RPs that require extensive profiles because sometimes I like to just take an idea and run with it, but I still want to RP here, so I'll put some effort into my character in the morning. (it's 1:16 AM here).

Thank you for all the constructive criticism, though.  I need to work on adding detail into my writing, anywyay.

Well, there's nothing stopping you from putting a bit of a barebone structure in with one or two associated behaviours for each personality trait. Honestly I find myself expanding on my profiles a lot anyway xD That's why some of mine tend to be very long because I've had the character for so long. Diomedes is a classic example (I've had that character for almost ten years now). Add more the more you become familiar with the character.

I'm always happy to help. You're very open to feedback, so I will be as honest as possible without being an arsehole xD

• Senior Staff

@Angela Daring Something that might help with writing your bio would be to write it like a short story rather than a point for point list of events. That way, you can get a feel for how the character would play. It also makes it feel a lot less like a chore to write and before you know it, you'll have plenty written down.

• Love 1

That's good advice, @Aurafox1. I try and do my bios like that, although I do put aside a little list of significant events and then link them together like a string. But writing a story is the mind-set I get myself into. It definitely makes it less of a chore xD

• 2 weeks later...
  • Senior Staff

@Neptune Well, it seems like we're coming up on a good stopping point for Sophia's side story. Now I'm wondering what to do with her next. I'd think the next day she would probably go to a bar to reflect on her experience, despite being underage. I was also thinking about having her get fired from her performance troupe to really drive home the fact that there's no turning back, though that would probably happen offscreen. Any ideas for who she might run into and how they would interact?

Agreed. I left room for you to do one more post in reaction, before closing it up.

My character Kaylaen is free. Kind of stuck in holiday blues right now. I would need to modify Rayvenne's profile in order to post her up.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Read our Privacy Policy for more information.

Please Sign In or Sign Up